From:
Michael Palmer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Feb 2006 07:57:00 -0500
>  Air Compressor:    Coupled with a pneumatic stapler I can whip out
> frames at an alarming rate

I now use an air compressor to assemble frames and other hive parts. With
one person loading the frame jigs, and one person stapling, we've built 500
frames in a day.

But, stapling can damage the frames. When you use nails to assemble the
frames, the shank of the nail penetrates the grain of the wood, pushing it
to the side, and the head of the nail sits on top of the grain...maybe
compressing it on top a little. This way, the head is not above the top
bar, and can be scraped without the nail interfering.

With staples, in order to have the crown of the staple slightly below the
top of the top bar, the crown imbeds slightly. This damages the grain. With
two staples at each end of the top bar, that damage can lead to failure of
the top bar ear. It is like trying to break a stick. Try to break the
stick, and it bends. There is strength in the grain, and there is
resistance to breakage. Put a couple small nicks in the stick with your
pocket knife, across the grain, and the stick is easily broken.

It's the same with the ears on a top bar. The two staples make a nick
across the weakest part of the frame, and the ears are more easily broken off.

Instead, use a good waterproof glue, and only one staple. This leaves more
undamaged grain, adding to the strength of the wood.
Mike