From:
randy oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Aug 2009 08:29:41 -0700
>I need some advice on an observation hive at the local conservation
center.  We can't keep the bees alive.

I'm sorry to hear of your problems, Grant!  I have not experienced that with
the many obs hives that I've maintained, so I'm guessing at answers.

First, how about temperature?  Are the hives too warm?  It is difficult for
bees to thermoregulate obs hives, but they generally do well in summer if
not too warm.  Do they have a screened air intake in the actual hive frame?

Second, the entrance tubes.  I routinely set up entrance tubes several feet
long, which work fine if there is enough traction inside, and they are not
directly exposed to the sun.

I'm sure that you've already eliminated chemical contamination (paint, bug
spray, etc).

Other than that, I'd have to blame it on PPB  ; )

Randy Oliver