From:
Stan Sandler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 28 Feb 1997 09:45:49 -0400
Allen Dick wrote:
>It's feeding time again, and I'm wondering about brewers' Yeast....

I am replying not because I think I know much about brewer's yeast, but
because I think the subject of pollen substitute ingredients is a very
important one and I don't want to see this thread die (no one has commented
for over a day, a poor sign).

Somewhere I think I must have read that the most important ingredient in
pollen substitute is the brewers yeast, because that idea is fixed firmly in
my head.  I use the cheapest dark brewers yeast with good acceptance.  I
have never tried the nutritional or torula types.  As the yeast is a source
of b(ee) vitamins it is probably better not to have yeast that is
overheated, but I have never seen indications on the bags as to how hot it
reached during drying.  I have never tried Mann Lake stuff so I can't compare.

>And while I am asking, has anyone actually experimented to see if Mann
>Lake's BeePro is any better than soy flour with or without brewers' yeast?

I would and have replaced some of the soy flour with wheat flour and milk
powder and I rarely add lecithin any more, but I would not leave out the
brewers yeast.  I also tried rye flour once (straight up, they eaten
everything else I had) and the bees seemed to like it, but that proves
nothing because when they are short on pollen they have depraved appetites
for any powder it seems (when fed outside dry; when fed as a "patty" on the
top bars some of the hives are fussier).

>I dutifully read the section in the Hive and the Honeybee, and all I could
>really conclude is that bees will eat just about anything and that any
>given formula will work sometimes and apparently not others.

A lot of the studies quoted are on formulations that will support brood
rearing for extended periods, but what you and I are most interested in (I
believe) is just a boost and stimulant for early brood rearing.

>Has anyone some real answers on this?
Yes please someone add some *facts*!

Regards, Stan