From:
"Susan H. Gilbert" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 May 2000 13:17:56 -0400
From post of Mr. John Mitchell 5/17/00, quoting a new story:
Friends of the Earth has called for an immediate ban on the outdoor
testing of genetically modified oilseed rape and maize after shop-bought

honey was found to contain GM pollen.

As a rank newcomer to beekeeping and the wonderful BeeList (but not to
biology, as I have a PhD and keep bees as  a hobby), I'm very curious to
know exactly what the problem is with finding genetically modified
components in pollen.  Have such components been demonstrated to cause
harm if ingested by anyone, including bees and people?  Is fear that it
might possibly cause harm driving the perceived problem, or is it
something more complicated/substantive?

Thanks, Mr. Mitchell, or whoever.

Susan Gilbert
Indianapolis, IN