Date:
Sat, 24 May 2014 07:23:03 -0700
Banning current pesticides without providing a viable alternative is NOT going to happen.  Using pesticides allows us to feed an ever increasing population, both nationally and world wide.  We could ban all pesticides and let some proportion of our world population die of starvation.  Is that a viable alternative?  We could ban current pesticides and return to previous pesticides which were much more harmful to the environment - DDT.  The pesticide companies are continually searching for more viable pesticides which are more environmentally friendly, have a longer life span without the target insects becoming resistant to the pesticide, and are cheaper to produce and at the same time are more profitable to the companies.  Business is business and businesses are in business to make a profit, whether it's a pesticide company or a beekeeper who wants his/her operation to pay for itself and even provide some mad money for incidentals.

Mike in LA

On Saturday, May 24, 2014 6:50 AM, Peter Loring Borst <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Whilst responsible land use practices are the perfect answer - suspect substances being voluntarily set aside by all land owners - that runs counter to profit making in a money-obsessed world.

Boiling every issue down to money is pointless and counter-productive. The chief aim of pesticides is to protect crops. If they did not serve this purpose, no one would buy them.

If I invested money in farming, I would want to be able to reap the fruits of my labors, feed my family, sock money away to retire. The alternative is widely known: sell the farm, work in a factory, die poor.

PLB