From:
Joel Govostes <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 Dec 1996 10:26:36 -0500
>At 02:11 AM 12/6/96 -0500, you wrote:
>>We are planning to build a honey house to use for storing all my equipment
>>and for processing our honey.  We are just hobby beekeepers at this point
>> (only 8 hives) but planning to expand to as many as 30 hives.  Does anyone
>>have suggestions for  a honey house?  My son-in-law is drawing plans  and
>>wants to know what to include.
>>My husband plans to make it abou 20ft. by 10 ft with plumbing and
>>electricity. Anyone out there who has built a honey house have suggestions?
>>Mary
>>
>Mary
>If you built it 15 X 15 you would pick up 25 square feet with a small change
>in cost.
>George

Hi Mary -
Extra room will be a godsend later on.  So shoot on the larger side if you can.
This hobby tends to grow.

I know of one guy who put up one of those small, plastic-covered
greenhouses for a building.  It warms well in the sun, and he also starts
his garden plants in there in late winter.  It was cheaper than a wooden
building and also can be disassembled.  If you can find a big old
dual-basin utility sink that would come in mighty handy.  You don't really
NEED hot water, but it is nice to have when it's cleanup time after
extracting.  Maybe a very small used water heater could be worked into the
plumbing.

A central drain on the floor lets you rinse and squeegie the sticky honey
residue away easily.  That's easier than mopping up.   Have fun...