From:
Bee Quick <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 13 Mar 2008 18:13:36 -0500
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20080313/od_uk_nm/oukoe_uk_macedonian_bear

SKOPJE (Reuters)
A Macedonian court convicted a bear of theft and damage for stealing
honey from a beekeeper who fought off the attacks with thumping
"turbo-folk" music.

"I tried to distract the bear with lights and music because I heard
bears are afraid of that," Zoran Kiseloski told top-selling daily
Dnevnik after the year-long case of the bear vs. the beekeeper ended
in the beekeeper's favour.

"So I bought a generator, lit up the area and put on songs of
(Serbian 'turbo-folk' star) Ceca."

The bear stayed away for a few weeks, but came back when the
generator ran out of power and the music fell silent, Kiseloski
said, adding, "it attacked the beehives again."

A court in the city of Bitola found the bear guilty, and since it
had no owner and belonged to a protected species, ordered the state
to pay the 140,000 denars (1,726 pounds) damage it caused to the hives.

There was no information on the whereabouts of the bear.