From:
Chris Slade <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 Feb 2009 20:42:24 EST

[log in to unmask] writes:

Are bees  LIVESTOCK?   And, do bees benefit  LIVESTOCK?

Unless your colony dies you have livestock. Anyone who has livestock has
deadstock from time to time.  Does the definition of LIVESTOCK include only
those beasts to which somebody can claim ownership and maybe pay taxes, or does
it include the way our planet is stocked with living creatures?

Aside from the bees providing, through pollination, a proportion of the  food
we eat directly and, through animal fodder, that which we eat indirectly
(unless Vegans, and Vega is a long way away(25 light years)), every bee
eventually provides food for other living creatures.  I have seen lizards  and toads
on alighting boards.  Insectivorous birds prey on them directly  as do rodents.
 Those that die of old age and fall to the ground unnoticed  enter the food
chain through the action of fungi etc, maybe contributing  marginally to the
fertility of the soil that feeds us.

My answer to both your questions is 'Yes'.

Chris