From:
randy oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 13 Feb 2010 16:57:31 -0800
> Anyone with actual experience [with Superboost synthetic brood pheromone]
since then?

Hi Bob,

They have several trials going, including one that I just finished.  IMHO,
they are straight up and open about the data.

I've seen data from three trials other than my own.  The two spring trials
(Texas and BC) looked like the product stimulated the bees to produce more
brood and bees if the bees were supplementally fed.

Dr Frank Eischen ran a trial in almonds, but the product didn't appear to do
much during the short time in the orchard.

I tried them midwinter (before the solstice) to see if they would encourage
extra broodrearing--the results were not statistically different.

It currently appears that the product can be used to encourage well-fed
colonies to consume more pollen patties, produce more brood, and forage more
for pollen when used during spring buildup.  Of course, there's no free
lunch, so the bees must get extra protein in order to raise more bees.
However, the stimulation could be of benefit to package and nuc producers.

It may also have use in encouraging bees to better pollinate less desirable
crops, such as onions.

Will be interesting to see it tested on later fruit bloom, such as apples.

They are on the learning curve, and looking to find practical applications.

Randy Oliver