From:
Steve Pearce <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 May 1997 15:21:53 GMT
Hi all

I use single brood chambers and must use Queen excluders.  I have tried
using deep combs but the queen simply lays drone eggs in them and the bees
happily raise them.  I get 3 or 4 supers of honey off single brood chamber
colonies in a very short season so I don't believe anyone can convince me
that excluders are bad.

Frank & Phronsie Humphrey

Dear Humphreys et. al,

ON the subject of excluders...contd... By deep I didn't mean deep as in long deep frames, I meant
deep as in thick, ie. the space between the frames is thick and the cells are therefore deep. In my
experience the queen doesn't lay in these.

I agree however that exluders  are a must if you use narrow spacing throughout or do not allow the
super combs to become significantly thick.

Another thing I find, which must apply to everyone is that not having to buy excluders saves me
A,
quite a lot of money, and
B,the hassle of fiddling about with them.

That for me is two  good
reasons not to bother with them.

Anyway, stick to what works for you!!

All the best