From:
Allen Dick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Feb 2010 08:11:05 -0500
> I learned early on that water from rain (or snow) could get between the flat weights and sit there.  It could also get down into the weight holder through the small hole into which the original balancing bits of metal were added to zero out the scale all those years ago (mine is supposedly about 100 years old).  That water was enough to throw off the weight by a noticeable amount, making the hive appear to be lighter.  Once the sun hit the weights and evaporated off the water, the weight came back to 'normal.'

Thanks for that.  I knew it had to be something simple and probabaly to do with the scale itself, but could not figure out how, since there was no obvious way that could be.  I learned something related when, in reconditioning the scale between the summer and this experiment, I broke off the thumbscrew.  I thought little of it until I had to move the slider back to zero and sdd weight.  At that point, things were off by a few pounds and it had me scratching my head for a few moments.  Of course I made an adjustment and noted that there is an offset which will have an effect on totals, but not day-to-day readings.

That's what I love about BEE-L: Ask or ponder a question and answers appear.

Agai, thanks.  I'm not usre if that is the explanation, but it is plausible and I shall start covering the weights.