Date:
Sat, 2 Jun 2018 12:56:38 +0000

1)     I would like to see Albany contact thebeekeepers already registered (what are the numbers, has the list ever beenupdated?) and start to provide services and information. The current mantra is,that once they have mandatory registration, they will send notification and provideservices.  They are not delivering now, arethese empty promises? We should be informed of real time outbreaks of AFB andtheir origins now, among other things, like mosquito and tick control abatementin counties. Why is information kept from being released? Do we need to file FOIL requests or spend hours online searching for info? According to theState Apiarist, only 30-50 NYS beekeepers registered last year (mostly from NYC),which shows that beekeepers are not inclined to register.

2)     In NYS we have an authoritarian structure, withpower consolidated by a small group of beekeepers who exert their influence onCornell and Ag & Markets. It’s the same people controlling: the EmpireState Honey Producers, (Apiary Industry Advisory Committee) AIAC, NYS TechTransfer (Cornell), etc. This type of activity has been going on for decades. Asmany know, unless you are approved by or useful to this group, bullying and intimidationmay occur. This is the group that is designated to guide the rule makingprocess.

NYS is putting the cart before the horsehere. A lot of work needs to be done before/if we have mandatory registration(yes, there will most likely be a fee). A lot of things are being rushed sothey can check off goals on a list.

Yes, I am on 2 of the committees listed in #2. AIAC- I am afairly new committee member, as an educator (NY Bee Wellness), and part timebeekeeper, but some committee members evidently are more equal than others.During the May 30 phone meeting, there was a statement made by anothercommittee member that small time beekeepers should have no say in matters. TheNYS Tech Transfer Board? (paid by NYS taxes), there was a phone meeting last August with Cornell;there was mention of having more frequent meetings etc, but I have not heard orreceived anything since (no reports or data). Is this the future ofnotification?, see #1. There seems to be a pattern or an entrenched culture.

-Pat Bono

Rochester NY