From:
Peter Edwards <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 18 May 2008 08:55:22 +0100
Joe wrote:

> Wax moth are opportunistic insects, and are more prone to gain a foot
> hold, in weak and diseased colonies.  So it would be easy to come to the
> assumption 'in error' that EFB was introduced by wax moth.

I am not arguing the case for wax moths spreading the disease and would
agree that it is normally spread by robbing or by beekeepers; I simply said:
"I seem to remember seeing a claim that wax moths might be implicated in
spreading EFB."  I was wondering if anyone had any further information.

Certainly wax moths will invade diseased colonies - and may then fly to
disease-free ones; the question is: can they spread disease?

Peter