From:
"J. Waggle" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 Jan 2010 15:29:39 -0800
> You started a good topic, Joe.

Thanks, and also to those who responded off list, as well as Dick Marron who was kind enough to re-provided me with the link, that I lost, I believe for the second time.

I'll dig up my other floating bee-house articles and submit them on this thread.

I was researching a Mr. Perrine, a honey dealer in Chicago who had a floating beehive of his own in 1878 (see article below), and wondering what connection he may have had with Frederick Grabbe (see link below), who also was a honey dealer in Chicago starting in 1872.  It would be interesting to discover if they were competitors, or perhaps silent partners.

Frederick Grabbe
http://www.51illinois.org/grabbe.html

Newspaper Article:
Colonies And India
July 20, 1878, London, Middlesex

A Gigantic Floating Beehive.

Our American cousins have, hit upon another novelty, which we find thus
referred to in a New York contemporary of the 22nd ult..:—A floating
bee-house has been constructed by Mr. Perrine, a Chicago honey dealer,
large enough to accommodate two thousand hives, which he is having
towed up the Mississippi river from Louisiana to Minnesota, keeping
pace with the blossoming of the flowers, and thus stimulating the honey making ability of his bees. Returning, he will stop about two months
somewhere above St. Louis, and will reach Louisiana in October. He
wants to take advantage of the autumnal flowers at each point. The
plan of moving the bees to get the benefit of flowers has been tried in a
small way in some parts of Europe. It is possible that honey-bee ships
might advantageously be sent out in winter to the West India Islands to
cruise for honey after the manner above described.

Best Wishes,
Joe Waggle
http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/HistoricalHoneybeeArticles/