From:
Jack Kuehn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 20 Apr 1997 13:37:44 -0500
We have been researching circadian rhythm in honeybees, and to do that we
put individuals into small cages with water at one end and sugar candy at
the other.  They are kept in the dark from before hatching and their
locomotor activity is measured by means of an electronic counter.  After
10 days or so some bees develop a daily rhythem.  Anyway, we want to
select for bees that have this trait, so I put day old virgin queens into
these cages, by themselves, and they lived four days.  I put them back in
the queen bank, and some survived.  I instrumentally inseminated one of
them yesterday with a drone that had been through the same process, so I
will find out soon if it will work!  It seems queens and drones are able
to feed themselves when they are young.

Jack Kuehn                                              (217) 333-0977
Beekeeping technician
University of Illinois                                  (217) 333-6843
Department of Entomology                                email; [log in to unmask]
320 Morrill Hall
505 S. Goodwin
Urbana, IL 61801