Date:
Sat, 5 Nov 2011 11:34:03 -0400
[log in to unmask] writes:

How is  the project to perfect and market an inexpensive remote hive/yard
monitoring and analyzing system coming along?

Not as well as I hoped.  We did get a modular hive and pallet  controller
at end of summer, and a bee counter that seems to work that would be  cheap
to build.

The hangup has still been 'inexpensive'.  We went through a lot of  counter
iterations, each had a major drawback - cost, or ruggedness, or
durability.  Satellite/phone  rates have been another.

We're looking more to acoustics for reducing costs - and we have  a year of
funding to pull this off, which is now at the top of our priority  list.
For past 5 years, we've had to prioritize the LIDAR system for  mapping  of
bees.

I'm a bit frustrated at the slow process re remote hives.  We had  working
ones as far back as 1995.  But, its been a matter of waiting for  some of
the enabling technologies to  truly catch up.

Ask me next summer.  Its snowing today.

Jerry