Informed Discussion of Beekeeping Issues and Bee Biology <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 5 Apr 2014 00:21:23 +0000
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (29 lines)
Jim:

The Canadian who designed the Kenyan top bar hive were from Guelph University where I worked for 10 years. He run  a Canadian international development program (CIDA) to develop beekeeping in Africa for development of communities. He went to Africa. For sure I know that Dr Smith went Africa.  The design was after the log hives been used and hung on trees in Kenya.

Therefore dimensions were based on historical use of the local hives that fit Apis mellifera adonsoni.
The question is "does this size of hives designed for small cluster African bees fit European bees? Last weekend I saw one of the top bar hives. OMG the size was monster.
In terms of Varroa mite control Bill, listening to Sam Comfort Anarchy apiaries at ABF meeting in Hershey PA, it seems that swarming at all times  reduces varroa. He takes the swarms down for sale and you can say natural beekeeping no treatment. I recall Sam does not care much about honey production though he gets some honey.

I agree with previous email if you keep the bees for a couple of years mites population  will develop to a level requires treatments.

But you can always order more natural bees to replace dead bees naturally.

Please check anarchy apiaries  website.

Medhat Nasr

Alberta Canada

Sent from my iPhone

This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If you have received this email in error please notify the system manager. This message contains confidential information and is intended only for the individual named. If you are not the named addressee you should not disseminate, distribute or copy this e-mail.

The BEE-L mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software.  For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2