From:
Blane White <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Feb 2003 13:27:51 -0600
Hi
Peter,
You asked how to prevent skunk damage.

My experience is that colonies raised up on stands somewhat higher than
the usual stand are seldom bothered by skunks.  I am talking about
raising the colonies about 8 inches off the ground with some sort of
stand.  If raised hives are being still bothered a skunk guard of wire
fencing tacked to the front of the hive has ended the problem.  The
guard can be either a wire mesh fence attached and rolled over the
entrance so the skunks cannot get at it or a strip of carpet tack strip
attached by the entrance with the prongs upward to discourage the
scratching.  Both seem to work so you get to choose based on your
preference and logistics.

FWIW

blane

Blane White