From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 May 2003 09:16:00 -0500
Hello Eugene & All,

Eugene asked:
Bees in wall without queen -- will they leave?

Usually they will not. Those which fly out will return later I suspect. It
is possible that a few will return to the hive they swarmed from but not
many in my opinion. They are clustering at the spot where the queen was and
left her pheromones (or still is).

Eugene said:
 I got there within 15 min. after they moved in, then waited 45 min. for the
builder to get there and explain where the joists, etc., were.

Possibly you hived the swarm before the swarm had completely organized.

Eugene said:
 I scooped the cluster out and put in a nuc
box, and am quite certain I got the queen.

Go check your nuc and see if you did indeed get the queen. If not she is
probbably still in the last cluster of bees.

 If you did get the queen then you will need to remove the left over bees
the best way you can. We use a vacuum which saves the bees. A shop vac will
work but will kill the bees.

Eugene said:
The problem is, there were still quite a few bees
scattered throughout the wall.

Always bees are left after hiving a swarm it seems. I always have to return
the day after a house bee removal to vacuum up the remaining bees.

I will do bee removal if the call comes at a slow time. I ALWAYS charge for
the service. I try to bid accordingly but at times i bid the job to low.
When this happens I do the job any way at the price quoted and try to do a
better job of estimating next time.

Eugene said:
 Unfortunately, it's raining this morning, and
his wife just called me to say there's a big cluster
there again.

Now you see why other beekeepers charge for removal from structures.

Right now is my busy time of the year. Taking time out for a bee removal
would cost me more than any money received.

Eugene said:
I'm thinking the scattered bees have just
come back together?

Most likely the case but you could have missed the queen.

Eugene asks:
The question is, if the queen is gone, will the rest
vacate the premises,

Most likely not.

 and if not, how can we get rid of them without tearing all the walls out?

Actually because you are only looking to remove disoriented bees if you
remove the large cluster they talked about and seal everything up you should
be ok as there is no honey to run in hot weather or dead brood to smell.

In any case be sure to seal the entrance after you are done as swarms like
to swarm to places swarms have been to before.
Many times when people say:
 "A swarm of bees has been in the old tree for 50 years"

I say:
"Yes bees have been swarming into your tree for fifty years"

Swarm:
bees hanging in a tree or bush

Bee removal:
Swarm which has moved inside a structure.

Very important to understand the difference.

Sincerely,
Bob Harrison
Odessa, Missouri