Date:
Tue, 1 Jul 1997 18:29:54 GMT+0200
 Re: Swarm returning to hive??????

My suggestion would be as follows:

When I capture a swarm I put an excluder over the hive entrance to
stop them getting away. I have seen such bees leave a hive cluster on
a tree give up as the queen does not join them and go back to the
hive as sunset comes around.

Now, I gather that in many parts of the world people clip the wings
of queens. If you split a hive with queen cells it is possible that
the hive which swarmed and returned may have had the old queen who
would have swarmed if she had full wings to excape the new queen
about to hatch.

My theory.

Keep well

Garth

---
Garth Cambray       "Opinions expressed in this post may be those
15 Park Road         of Pritz, my cat, who knows a lot about
Grahamstown          catfood."
South Africa               Phone 27-0461-311663

In general, generalisations are bad.
But don't worry BEEEEEE happy.