From:
Aaron Morris <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 12 Dec 2002 18:27:35 -0500
> The published science on the subject of heat and AFB that I
> know of is focused on AFB spores in wax, in honey, or alone.
> I don't think that anyone has ever tried to study the case of
> "on woodenware".  (Too many variables.)

Well, I cannot quote the source  (author), but there was a poster at the
Niagara Falls meeting giving results of studies of AFB remaining viable in
foundation and actually resulting in vegetative cases of AFB when given to
clean hives.  Conclusions drawn were thar AFB can remain viable in
foundation and actually resulting in vegetative cases of AFB when given to
clean hives.  DUH!  Observation was that the wax used to make the foundation
hadn't been heated to a high enough temperature.  DUH!!  Heat the wax hot
enough and it will kill AFB spores, whether in a vat of wax or on wooden
equipment.  The variable on wooden equipment is that the wooden equipment
must remain in the vat of hot wax to assure that the temperature of ALL the
wooden surfaces rise to an AFB-Lethal temperature.  Same concept applies to
wooden ware in a conduction vat of wax of a convection kiln oven.  Raise the
temperature to an AFB-lethal degree and the AFB WILL die.  No need to carry
the discussion further than quoting what is the AFB-lethal temperature,
which I'd give right here, but I don't recall off the top of my head, I
don't have any of 1000 beekeeping books at my fingertips to find the
temperature and I'm too tired of this thread to surf to any of 100 web pages
that will give the information.

Aaron Morris - thinking heat is heat and lethal temperatures are lethal
temperatures and assured that the debate will continue.