From:
William Lord <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Mar 2018 08:15:28 -0500
On the subject of late season mite reinfestation, I just went through my
overwintered colonies and rather than wondering what went wrong I actually
had exceptionally good winter survival.  I did mite washes in August and
needed treatment.  I used thymol/Apiguard because I knew I was going to be
traveling and wanted a long lasting treatment.  The first application
vaporized pretty quickly but the second application lingered on most hives
and I could see crystals on the cards in many hives when I opened them for
OA dribbles in December.

I wonder if the thymol did not give extended mite control via extended
release as the temperatures cooled off?  As I dribbled in December I also
make a practice of adding a 2 inch rim, a sheet of newspaper, and a full
rim of dry granulated sugar for any hives that don't feel heavy or hives in
which I can see the cluster.  I think the sugar adds insulation, acts as a
moisture sump, and the bees seem to really enjoy tunneling up into the
hardened sugar in early spring.

happy to share good news,

Bill Lord
Louisburg, NC