From:
Hugo Veerkamp <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Dec 1994 13:25:55 PST
----------cut-----------

 >    Several people have developed or demonstrated
 > methods to assess AFB by
 >    means other than hive symptoms.
 >    Mark Goodwin and Cliff van Eaton in New Zealand
 > have a method of
 >    detection using bacterial cultures, that can use
 > non-symptomatic adult
 >    bees or brood, honey or pollen as a sample source.
 > The basic method is

----cut---------

In Finland  a method has been developed/standardised for
evaluating honey samples to screen for AFB; the method
is also based on growing Bac. Larvae spores under
culture conditions. I have an info text here but it's
in German ( easier to understand than finnish, but still
not useful for BEE-L, I guess..) I'll ask the fins if
they'd consider translating it into english for us.
As soon as they do, you'll be the first to know !

All I can do for now, is present to you the summary
of the german article below

-------------------------

Summary
52 samples were collected from the beekeepers,
one sample from each beekeeper and cultivated on
5 % bovine blood agar after boiling half an hour
in water bath.
17 % of honey samples were positive for B. larvae,
additional 12 % positive for B. alvei.
In six cases with American foulbrood there was
B. larvae in honey and in two cases B. alvei.
Bacillus alvei was found in four cases of
European foulbrood, in one case honey sample
was negative for Bacillus alvei.
Two beeyards with Bacillus larvae in honey
were clinically healthy. The beekeepers
were asked their use of antibiotics
against brood diseases. Seven of them told
to medicate their bees to prevent disease.
In spite of preventive spring medicating
with oxytetracycline one of them got
disastrous American foulbrood.
Six beekeepers used antibiotics because
of outbreak of brood diseases in their
bee yards, three were medicating the bees
coincidental. Three out of these nine
beekeepers had still clinical American
foulbrood and another three European
foulbrood in their beeyards.

-------------------------

sincerely, Hugo

                   \|/
                   @ @          Hugo Veerkamp
   ------------oOO-(_)-OOo---------------------------------------------
   |                          BEENET INTERNATIONAL                    |
   | E-mail :                              | mail : the Bee bbs       |
   | [log in to unmask]        P.O. BOX 51008    |
   |      ( or press reply button)         |        1007EA AMSTERDAM  |
   |                                       |        The Netherlands   |
   | Beenet : 240:31/0                     | modem: +31 20 6764105    |
   | Fidonet: 2:2801/28                    | voice: +31 20 6715663    |
--
uucp: uunet!rain!puddle!2!2801!28!Hugo.Veerkamp
Internet: [log in to unmask]