From:
"Peter L. Borst" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 Oct 2007 07:33:08 -0400
On Thu, 11 Oct 2007 11:22:10 -0400, Steve Noble <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Is there a limit to what we can get out of the gene pool for our seemingly
limitless demands?

* Of course there is. It's like the quest for the blue rose.

> Since roses lack a gene to produce delphinidin, the primary plant pigment
that produces true blue flowers, blue roses were traditionally created by
dyeing white roses. So-called "blue roses" have been bred by conventional
hybridization methods, but the results, such as "Blue Moon" are more
accurately described as lilac in color. However, after 13 years of joint
research by an Australian company Florigene, and Japanese company Suntory, a
blue rose was created in 2004 using genetic engineering.

* The lesson here is that if you want something bad enough, maybe there is a
way. But I think most people on this list cringe at the notion of a
genetically engineered honey bee. However, my point in this whole discussion
has been that there is growing concern that bee breeding as it has been
practiced may be the problem rather than the solution regarding honey bee
health and vigor.

* At this point, I think the only important characteristic to worry about is
the ability to fight off these parasites. You can't do much beekeeping with
dead bees. Conversely, if there is a trade-off for increased viability, such
as lower honey production or more aggressive bees, there are ways of dealing
with this. You have to have more hives and suit up more often, but if
keeping bees is the goals, we have to adapt too.

* Fact is, based on Heather and Tom's work, it appears that increasing
genetic diversity produces a wide variety of improvements:

> Genetic diversity is critically important for the productivity and
long-term survival of newly established honey bee colonies. The key to
colony performance may lie in the mating habits of honey bee queens. There
is building evidence that, within each colony, certain patrilines specialize
in tasks, such as defending the colony, removing dead workers, or
communicating. Ultimately, natural selection would favor any traits,
*including patriline diversity* due to polyandry, which would improve colony
productivity and reproduction.

Excerpted from:

"Genetic Diversity May Be the Key to New Honey Bee Colony Success" by
Heather R. Mattila and Thomas D. Seeley

pb