From:
"David L. Green" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 17 Nov 2001 09:58:07 EST
In a message dated 11/16/01 2:43:32 PM Eastern Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

> .  In upstate NY at this time of year I wouldn't expect to see much
> brood at all.

   Here in coastal SC, it's been consistently in the 70's with bright
sunshine. Aster is playing out and mustard is beginning (would be a lot
better if we could get some RAIN, though!). The bees are carrying pollen.  I
think mustard (actually wild radish, but everyone calls it mustard) is the
key to this area's reputation for easy wintering for bees. It is available
all winter, unless there is an abnormal cold spell, after which it quickly
returns to bloom.

    Strong hives have all but shut down brood rearing. A few Italian queens
will keep a small patch of brood thru winter. But weaker hives, and soon most
of the strong hives will have no brood at all. By early January we start to
see brood rearing again.

Dave Green
The Pollination Home Page:  http://pollinator.com