From:
Christine Gray <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 Aug 2003 10:25:09 +0100
Keith Benson quoted me: " Keith Benson just came back 'I have yet to see
this a standard medical therapy - in fact, it is just a fringe thing" and
added himself: " And your point? .......I can tell you that this is, in
fact, not a  standard medical practice".

Let me explain the point again - for those with ears to hear.

I have referred to the booklet published by International Bee Reasearch
Association (tel: +44 (0)29 2037 2409, web:www.ibra,org,uk,  e-mail:
[log in to unmask]) , Honey and Healing, 2001  - ISBN: 0-85092-240-8.  This
contains five lectures by scientists on their recent work on the healing
capacity of honey. The studies included comparison with sugar honey which
was found not as effective. I am drawing the inference from this that (some
types of) floral honey have been shown to be in some way different from
sugar honey, in context of the discussion on the possible effects on bees of
feeding sugar. It is up to readers of this list whether or not they feel
that is useful evidence or not.

Denigration of the research (without any sign u have read it)   as a
'fringe' practice is simply not relevant.  A fact (if it is a fact ) is a
fact whether recognised by a small group of reasearchers or by the general
run of vetenary practitioners.   Presumably if u had been around when
Galileo first mumbled that the earth revolves around the sun, u would have
said 'that's only a fringe view - can't see a multi-billion project to set a
man on Mars starting from that view, as there are many better theories based
on the earth being flat'.

It remains something of a puzzle why a group on this list is so insistent on
crushing any idea that natural honey could possibly be more than flavoured
sugar and , by extension, that sugar is as good a feed for bees as natural
honey.  You claim knowledge of nutrition and medical practice - I would have
thought that , as a professional, u would read up the scientific papers (
over 200 references in Honey and Healing) and take up the issues with the
scientists who did the work. Instead u seem only to want to restrict debate
by deriding the concepts in principle, unread.  You even end your post by
seeking to associate 'open-mindedness' with gullibility - so anyone seeking
new knowledge is a fool?  Stick to your own narrow views by all means but
may I suggest, in the interests of 'informed discussion on beekeeping issues
and bee biology' (let us remember the purpose of this list)  that u would
help others more if u concentrated on presenting the evidence for your side
of the argument and less on knocking other posts without providing evidence.
Others on this list could then make up their own minds.

 Lastly, I do not mind if u refer to me by my name, Robin Dartington, with
which I sign all posts.  Christine Gray is the owner of the computer.
Presumanbly when u get a business  letter u reply to whoever signed the
letter rather than just to Barcklay's Bank?

Robin Dartington