From:
Roy Nettlebeck <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Jul 2015 15:17:37 -0400
Hello All,
 I have been tracking the environment I have been putting my bees for many years. 35 up in the Olympic mountains. What plants and elevation plus the odd duck , weather.
 Now over the past 5 years I do not move the bees. But I do pay attention on what plants they visit.  I put flower on them and then check back at the hives. It works well.
 The clear cut just above me is changing and the fireweed has gone down do to growth of the trees. So the bees are on Ocean spray this year with little fireweed.
 I have studied bee nutrition from different plants and trees. A broad cross section is needed for them to get all the needed enzymes. They trigger genes to build other enzyme's that the bees need for good health. We have plenty of studies to research.
 One crop answer will not work. For me in the Mountains , fireweed was #1 but there were many more wild plants for them to visit. So it worked for me.
We have the data to put together a good cross section of plants for different areas of the US. Its not one size fits all.
I did notice yesterday that a bee was collecting resin from a hydrangea plant.  That was the first time I could see the positive use of the hydrangea.
We can't cover all the plants but we can do some of them that will help the bees.
Best Regards
Roy