From:
Michael Reddell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 24 Feb 1997 23:32:04 -0800
Swarms obviously do spread Varroa, but on the other side of the coin,
since a swarm has no brood to harbor mites, you can get the most bang
for your buck (or pound, or whatever) when you put Apistan on a new
swarm.  All the mites in a swarm are on adult bees, and therefore, more
exposed and suceptible to fluvalinate.
I have very little problem with swarms absconding, so I put the strips
in the hive right away with a new swarm.  Some people wait a day or two
to let the bees settle in first.

Good luck to you guys who haven't seen a mite yet.  Don't underestimate
their destructive powers like I did when they first arrive.  If you do,
they'll kick your butt.

Michael Reddell
http://www.hotcity.com/~mwr