From:
Peter L Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 Aug 2009 09:55:15 -0400
Citation: Villa, J.D., Danka, R.G., Harris, J.W. 2009. Simplified methods
of evaluating colonies for levels of Varroa Sensitive Hygiene (VSH).
Journal of Apicultural Research 48(3):162-167

> We explored methods to measure VSH in test colonies that would be
simpler and more user friendly for bee breeders. Colonies which
maintained low mite levels in field tests also showed the highest levels
of some components of VSH. Among the simplest to measure was a higher
propensity to open infested cells, and the opening and resealing of
cells regardless of infestation.

> More complex procedures involved the introduction of highly infested
comb from other colonies to measure the reductions in actual infestation
of the comb, or detect changes in the reproductive state of mites.
Comparisons of the ease and reliability of various measurements provide
guidance for breeders wishing to improve the levels of VSH in specific
bee stocks.

> When infested brood was exposed in colonies for one week, VSH colonies
reduced both mite fertility and mite infestation. When highly infested
brood was exposed to a subset of colonies for 2 h, control colonies
uncapped no or few cells while uncapping in VSH colonies was variable
but on average was much higher.

http://seprl.ars.usda.gov/research/publications/publications.htm?seq_no_115=238760

[watch out for the line break]