From:
P-O Gustafsson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 8 Sep 1996 18:27:25 +0200
> "But note that Allen says that a good honey flow is necessary for this
> method to work.  Many of us wait to extract until honey flows are long gone.
> Tipping supers might excite our bees to robbing of historic dimensions!"

There is another method that's been used here with good result. Instead
of
using an escape board on the hive, we have an escape bottom that stands
on
the ground beside the hive. A bottom board with only one small hole
that's
facing the entrance of the hive.

Beekeepers using this system usually have 2 hives on a stand with a
space
between the hives. The bottom is placed between the hives with supers
from
both hives stacked up. In this case the bottom has 2 holes, each facing
hive entrance. If the boxes are taken off the hives in the morning
before
11 o'clock, it works great. All bees leave the supers and you can pick
them
up in the afternoon. The small holes doesn't attract robbers so much as
an
open box.

--
Regards