From:
Dave Pehling <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Jan 1995 09:03:42 -0800
On Thu, 19 Jan 1995, Margriet Hilda Dogterom wrote:

> Hi,  I read a message ON Bee-L (22April 1993) on removing mites
> from osmia cocoons using 5%bleach for 5-10 mins.  This certainly works
> well.  This is my first year at collecting Osmia on the west coast of BC
> and I have about 20% of the coccoons partly covered with mites(don't know
> th species as yet).  After the coccoons are submerged in
> bleach for 5-10 minutes, is there any post rinsing required with water?
> I wonder if the bee crawling over the coccoon will be affected in
> any way.Is this method written up anywhere?
> I did keep this address but deleted the person's name who wrote the
> message. Thanks,
Hi Margriet (and other Osmia afficianados),

I have been raising native Osmia as a hobby for about 10 years
here in Western Washington.  The mites on our bees have been
identified as _Chaetodactylus krombeini_.  The control method you
mention is published in a handout by "Orchard Bees", 1111 Cindy
St., Auburn, IN, 46706 and also in the book "The Orchard Mason
Bee" by Brian Griffin.  Neither source mentions post rinsing of
the coccoons.

Cheers,
Dave Pehling
  | W.S.U./SNOHOMISH CO. COOPERATIVE EXTENSION |
  | 600 128TH ST. S.E.                         |
  | EVERETT, WA.  98208  U.S.A.                |
  |   PHONE - (206)338-2400                    |
  |   FAX   - (206)338-3994                    |
  |   INTERNET [log in to unmask]    |