From:
Stan Sandler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 26 Aug 2012 10:05:36 -0300
I put out quite a few PF100 frames this year (and PF120, the medium depth
frame).  It was many thousand (over half a trailerload).  We do not have
the strong honeyflow of Alberta,  and our average honey pull per hive is
less than half of Alberta's, and often only a third.   Almost all the
foundation was intermixed at two frames per box or four frames per box.
Towards the end we ran out of drawn comb and put some boxes on where we
just pulled up a frame from below for bait.  These generally were not
worked well as the honeyflow was tapering off already when we ran out of
drawn comb,

In general, I was pleased to see that these frames were waxed quite well
(more wax per frame than either Pierco or Permadent).  I did not see that
much more bridging to the next comb or wild combs than with Pierco.  But we
were mostly intermixing between drawn combs.

I agree that the plastic is not of as high a quality, but, the price was so
much cheaper that I can accept that.  It was less than two thirds of the
price.  We don't usually leave frames in the sun for long.

What was really noticeable was that some hives just detested the small cell
size.  They would draw the comb flat but all changed to drone cell or
intermixed with drone cell because they did not want to follow that size
pattern.  I have absolutely no interest in "regressing" my bees to accept
that size foundation.  If they don't want to work that cell size then in my
opinion it is no longer "natural" for our present day bees.  Luckily, not
all hives were that picky, but it was enough to be very annoying.

Stan