From:
randy oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 5 Jul 2015 07:37:40 -0700

> >I'm presuming that continued research will show that accumulations of
> sub-lethal doses cause more harm than was first thought to Honey bees and
> native pollinators.

In the case of the neonics, I'm not seeing supportive evidence of that
hypothesis.  The main effect appears to be on altering feeding behavior,
which appears to impact bumblebees and some solitary bees much more
strongly than it does a honey bee colony.  The end result appears to be
that those bees suffer from poor nutrition due to inefficient foraging.

I have yet to see data supporting the chronic toxicity hypothesis proposed
by Tennekes.

The one exception is that apparent delayed effect upon honey bee queen
supersedure in one experiment.
However, ground truthing in the field of that hypothesis doesn't support
it.  I'm not hearing from beekeepers who work canola that they experience
elevated queen loss.

--
Randy Oliver
Grass Valley, CA