From:
Stan Sandler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Jan 2012 21:34:40 -0400
I would like to get some comments on the following scenario:

I believe that testing presently shows three bee operations in one area of
Nova Scotia with tracheal mite finds.  (Nova Scotia has previously tested
free since one small area was positive about ten years ago, and hives there
were destroyed).  But one of those operations may have shipped queens
around the province.  How fast would the mites build up in another
operation to the point where testing would show them, if they were seeded
just by a few queens and escorts, which may have had low level infection.

This is of importance, because Prince Edward Island so far is still not
showing any tracheal mites, but we have beekeepers who have a history of
importing queens and nucs from Nova Scotia.  I am wondering what level of
testing would be reasonable to certify a supplier as tracheal mite free, or
if that is even possible in this scenario.

Thanks in advance for comments
Stan