From:
mark berninghausen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 13 Jan 2006 20:30:17 -0800
To me, a responsible beekeeper should be a responsible citizen. To me, a responsible citizen does what she can to improve the conditions under which we all live. One works within the system, to insure a level of quality workmanship. One works outside of the system to influence the focus of the system. One does this by banding together a group of likeminded people who are willing to advise those with the power to move the focus. If their advice is not taken then they need to gather more support from those folks who can change the focus. If they are strong enough in numbers, influence and or money, they will get the attention of those who will get things changed.

  But you must be organized, united, have a plan, a workable, logical, reasonable and affordable plan. Unless you are willing to fund at least part of that plan through a fee, license or permit.

  You also must stand firm. You must stand firmly in place. Don't give up the struggle. Don't go home when things don't go your way.

  No one gets everything that they want. But in order for the majority to get what it needs, someone is going to be disappointed.

  You may think that you are beekeepers. But, are you beekeepers first and citizens of New York second? Or the other way around.

  Get with the program. The program is to improve what we have. It's easy to tear something down. We did that ten years ago. What we have now has taken more work than you might think.

  It is easy to tear something down. What are you and I going to build in it's place? And what makes anyone believe that what will be built in place of what we have now, will be any better?

  Mark Berninghausen, citizen

Yahoo! Photos