From:
randy oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 10 Aug 2007 08:53:55 -0700
Hi all,

I read a paper years ago (can't cite) that explained that your intestines
are actually "leaky" enough for some pollen grains to pass through the
intestinal wall (I don't know where they go from there) and thus allow the
body to desensitize due to low level foreign protein challenge.

I recently read another paper by a physician who stated that certain
substances such as cow's milk and gluten make the intestine especially
leaky, and allow allergens to pass, thus causing allergic rhinitis, even
thought the substances weren't inhaled.

I have no idea whether there is any truth to these reports, but thought the
List might want to hear a possible mechanism.

I personally am allergic to some grass pollens, but eating local honey or
pollen doesn't help me.  However, I sell quite a bit of both every year to
people who are thoroughly convinced that it helps them.

Randy Oliver