From:
randy oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 Mar 2011 08:49:53 -0800

> > If anyone is interested, I can describe humane ways of [killing a
> colony].

Please do!  The traditional methods were either cyanide or by burning
sulfur.

I've not personally tried sulfur for killing a hive--has anyone on the List
got experience?  I once started a serious fire in a stack of supers when I
used burning sulfur to kill wax moth, and don't wish to repeat!

Pete previously posted:  They can be killed very quickly using ether based
starter fluid, acetone, pure alcohol, or acetic acid. None of these will
leave significant residues, they evaporate quickly.

Of the above list, starter fluid (ether) or acetone would likely be
cheapest.  Starter fluid consists of heptane and ether, both of which
evaporate readily and do not appear to leave residue (the spray on the palm
of your hand test).  Pete (or anyone else), how long a blast of starter
fluid is necessary to kill a double in warm weather?

Randy Oliver