From:
Pollinator <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 17 Mar 1998 13:04:11 EST

<< Once upon a time, I've read some postings about waste candy feeding for
 bees.
 In South Korea, sugar price is now very high due to very difficult
 economic situation. So I'm very interested in waste candy from candy
 factory because I think waste cany will be cheap.>>

    A number of US beekeepers have used the peppermint candy that was sold as
surplus, when the government phased out a lot of old fallout shelters. The
hard candy worked very well as a supplemental feed.  A lot was used in cattle
feed also.

 I would appreciate it if you give me any comments on the followings.

 1) Sugar type used in candy factory>>

   Don't use any chocolate. The bees can't metabolize the fat.  We have a
local factory, and I could get their waste very cheap. But they won't separate
the chocolate.

 <<2) Is there any effective method to remove the coloring dye of waste
 candy ?>>

    Why?  The dye won't hurt them.  You aren't planning to make "honey" at the
same time, are you?  That would be an adulteration, which would be illegal
here. I don't know about your laws, but would not consider it ethical.

    I see nothing wrong with feeding bees through the lean times when there is
no nectar.  But it certainly grates on me to see feeder pails on hives in the
orange groves during the orange flow.   This may be the reason for some of the
superlight orange "honey" you see on the market, with almost no pollen
apparent, when you look through it.

     An acquaintance fed a lot of Nestle's "Quick" to his bees, then used the
dye as a marker, to study various things about the bees' anatomy and
physiology.

    He fed in open feeders, and had a neighbor ask what was the awful-tasting
red syrup the bees were processing. He did not 'fess up. Never said a
word.....

[log in to unmask]     Dave Green  Hemingway, SC  USA
The Pollination Scene:  http://users.aol.com/pollinator/polpage1.html

Jan's Sweetness and Light Shop    (Varietal Honeys and Beeswax Candles)
http://users.aol.com/SweetnessL/sweetlit.htm