From:
Roy Nettlebeck <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 23 Aug 1998 21:57:05 -0700
On Sun, 23 Aug 1998, Ivan Pechanec wrote:

> Article from USDA:    Anybody have any comments on this?

> <Picture: News from the Agricultural Research Service>

> Formic Acid Gel Protects Bees and People

> By Jill Lee
> August 19, 1998

> Apistan-resistant mites have been found in parts of the United States. ARS
> scientists at the Bee Research Laboratory in Beltsville, Md., developed the
> formic acid gel and have applied for a patent. In field tests, the formic acid
> gel killed up to 84 percent of varroa mites and 100 percent of tracheal mites,
> another bee pest.
>
> The gel formulation can ease the path to EPA registration because it reduces
> the risk of exposure to formic acid compared with the formic acid spray used
> The new treatment is composed of formic acid mixed with a food-grade gelling
> agent and sealed in a small plastic bag. Beekeepers would simply slice open
> the bag and leave it in the hive. After the acid evaporates, it leaves a
> harmless residue that won't contaminate the hive or the honey.

 Hello All and the USDA

 I have some questions.
 1. What research and studies have been done to prove out no negative
affect on pheromone inhibitory of workers. Larva and pupae pheromones
suppress the developement of worker ovaries.How does Formia acid at a much
higher level than normal affect the larva and pupea pheromones?
2.What % decrease can we expect in the Queen pheromone control of the hive
with a high level of formic acid vapor in the hive?
3. Is there any increase in supersedure of the queen with the presence of
formic acid gel in the hive?

 I know of some real potential problems with using the strongest organic
acid that we know of, with an enviornment of much weaker organic acids
(all known pheromones are weak organic acids). It may not have a great
affect on the hive. I would like to know what tests have been done and
what was the results.
 I would like to commend the USDA in coming up with the gel to help us
control Varroa.The control is needed. We also need a long range solution
for the mite without the use of chemicals.The public will not have the
same view of pure Honey , if we keep putting chemicals into the hive. It
makes no difference how safe we tell them it is, they are all learning
through hard knocks, not to belive everything they read and hear.We need
to keep our bees alive and our honey clean.By the way, Formic acid is
already in the hive in low levels, so its probibly not a problem to use it
after the honey has been removed.
 Now off the soap Box.

 Best Regards
 Roy