From:
Allen Dick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 14 Jul 1995 10:33:57 -0600
On Fri, 14 Jul 1995, Michael Stoops wrote:

> Hi Allen, > Re: Opening up top of hive to improve ventilation.
> Thanks for the response.  I'm just a hobbiest, and was going with what I
> had read.  Appreciate your thoughts on the subject.  Didn't realize that
>lower temperatures would inhibit wax drawing and honey storage.  Hope I
>didn't guide anyone incorrectly.

I wouldn't lose any sleep over it.  If there are ten beekeepers in a
room, there are bound to be ten opinions on any subject (sometimes more).

As I said - or tried to say - it might very well be a good idea in the
southern states or during a long spell of hot nights -- especially if
there is a dearth of nectar at the same time, or if the beekeeper is near
his/her hives all the time and willing to open/close as necessary.

However for a commercial beekeeper in the north, it is likely (IMHO) not
wise.

Nonetheless, the same idea was brought up last weekend when I
visited a young friend who runs 2100 hives.

He is an operator I admire very much and I was there to shamelessly steal
a lot of his ideas on many beekeeping topics.

He was thinking of using top ventillation for no particular reason (he
hasn't had combs melt down or bees appear to suffer from overheating,
other than hanging out mildly on a very few occasions - which most of us
consider normal and harmless).

My to him response was the same as my response to this list.

I don't think he will be doing it.

However, I don't think I'm qualified to comment on what to do in Texas,
other than to state principles I have found useful, and to indicate
possible undesirable effects to watch for if the technique is used at he
wrong time or on weak hives - or in the wrong location in the world.

We are a worldwide list and bees behave very differently in the tropics
and subtropics from how they behave up near the Arctic circle.

Some of the world's greatest beekeepers have been 'hobbyists'.

Your suggestion may have been most appropriate for your situation.

All the best.

Allen

W. Allen Dick, Beekeeper VE6CFK Rural Route One Swalwell Alberta Canada
T0M 1Y0 Email:  [log in to unmask] or [log in to unmask] Futures, Art &
Honey:http://www.cuug.ab.ca:8001/~dicka