Date:
Fri, 24 Apr 1998 08:28:03 GMT+0200
Hi All

I just saw Ians post about the wax worms in the supers. I have once
or twice had the experience of having a few 'worms' appear in honey
when I extracted it. What happens here is that if a hive has capped
honey and some pollen reserves stored together there are these little
black beetles that will lay an egg or twenty in each cell filled with
pollen. These are a huge pest actually and will also damage brood in
weak hives.

If one extracts a pollen/beetle/honey frame, you get little white
jobbies in the honey, that require quite intensive straining to get
rid of. Of late I have beun trying to get my bees not to store in
supers by giving ample storage space in brood boxes so as to avoid
this issue.

Keep well

Garth

Garth Cambray           Camdini Apiaries
Grahamstown             Apis mellifera capensis
Eastern Cape Prov.
South Africa

Time = Honey