Date:
Fri, 16 Mar 2012 17:19:10 -0400
> We seem to have a slew of people who are or are testing to be a master
> beekeepers in Maine. It proves they can learn, retain it and pass a test it
> doesn't prove they are good beekeepers. Our state has a
> master garden program and I am one who took it. It wasn't so I could toot
> my horn, most do not know I am a master gardener it was about
> getting involved with a volunteer program to help families learn to grow
> some of their own food. The thing with most of the master beekeepers I have
> meet is they can be braggers, it's all about the title to some.

Karen mirrors my experience.

One of the really good things about the Master Gardener program in Maine is
it is more than a title. Hard work is part of it and you have to be a
mentor and use your knowledge to help others. Lots of your time is
involved.If you do not do all the mentoring that is required, you do not
become a Master Gardener. It is not built for egos but for teachers.

Master Beekeeper requires nothing outside the individual. One MB does
lecture, but at $40 a pop. All the rest of us non-MBs teach for free, just
like Master Gardners.

I did appreciate the call out in this thread on my comment about Master
Beekeepers as it was a general comment (which is what my original
"beginner" complaint was about) and therefor, not appropriate. But,
locally, it does fit. The program may be better in other states.

Bill Truesdell
Bath, Maine