From:
David Eyre <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 12 Jan 2000 19:17:29 -0500
On 12 Jan 00, at 12:15, Lloyd Spear wrote:

> Usually the nuc will readily accept the queen cell, and by using one you
> get a laying queen 10 days sooner than otherwise.  No less than 14 days
> after you insert the queen cell, check for eggs.  If no eggs appear by day
> 20, the bees did not accept the queen cell or the queen did not return
> from mating. Expect about 15% of your nucs to not have a laying queen, and
> plan the number of nucs accordingly.

Strange how some old wives tales persist. We open our raising nucs 24
hours after the cell is due to emerge to check make sure she emerged
properly, without problems. If you wait 14 days that nuc will be so
close to laying workers as to be almost useless, assuming the cell
failed, 20 days and we plan to shake out and start again. I for one
wouldn't waste time re-celling it.
        As to 15%, if we lost that amount we would be looking to find out
what went wrong, far too high in my opinion.

The Bee Works, 5 Edith Drive, R R # 2.
Orillia, Ontario, Canada.L3V 6H2.
Phone (705)326 7171 Fax (705)325 3461
David Eyre,