From:
Tom Patterson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 Mar 2003 07:13:16 -0700
Thanks to the loud public outcry there may be a chance to reverse the
Ban on Beekeeping in residential areas of the city of Aurora.  The
subject will be brought up tonight, 3/3/2003, at the City Council
Meeting.  The meeting will be held at
Aurora City Clerk's Office
1470 S. Havana St., First Floor
Aurora, CO 80012
303-739-7094

Below is a copy of the email I received from Bob Legare, the City
Councilman who has supported beekeeping and voted for a favorable
ordinance.  Please read it completely and carefully.  He is on the
side of reason and rational behavior.  Below that is a list of the
City Council Members with their phone numbers and email addresses.
Please contact them today and politely state why you feel Aurora
should NOT ban beekeeping.  Please contact anyone you know that can
support this effort if you have the opportunity today.  Hopefully you
will be able to attend the Council Meeting tonight.  I know it is
short notice and some of you won't even see this till the meeting is
over.  I want to sincerely express my very deep gratitude to each of
you that has helped in this matter.

>To: <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Fwd: to bees or not to bees
>From: "Bob LeGare" <[log in to unmask]>
>Date: Sun, 02 Mar 2003 19:40:45 -0700
>
>Tom,
>Based on the great spread of letters in the Sentinel, I'm giving this
>one more shot (see attached).  If a majority of council supports my
>idea, beekeeping would not be banned, but would be dealt with under the
>more general nuisance ordinance when a problem arises.  I'll keep you
>posted.
>Best regards,
>Bob LeGare
>ps: Did you organize the letter writing?  It was a great effort.
>
>To: <[log in to unmask]>,<[log in to unmask]>,
>       <[log in to unmask]>, <[log in to unmask]>,
>       <[log in to unmask]>, <[log in to unmask]>,
>       <[log in to unmask]>, <[log in to unmask]>,
>       <[log in to unmask]>, <[log in to unmask]>,
>Subject: to bees or not to bees
>From: "Bob LeGare" <[log in to unmask]>
>Date: Sun, 02 Mar 2003 18:50:34 -0700
>Cc: "Charlie Richardson" <[log in to unmask]>,
>       "Nancy Freed" <[log in to unmask]>,
>       "Pamela Alford" <[log in to unmask]>,
>       "Ron Moore" <[log in to unmask]>
>
>I urge council members to read the 2 pages of letters in the February 27
>Sentinel regarding our pending ban on honey beehives in Aurora.  Most of
>the letters very clearly state the common sense reality of living with
>honey bees, and that there are more benefits than risks associated with
>hobby beekeeping. In my opinion, common sense was lacking in the 2-1
>decision that came out of Code Enforcement Policy Committee stating that
>hobby honeybee keeping should be banned in Aurora.  There is no history
>of honey beekeeping being a problem in Aurora, but emotions overrode
>reality at the Code meeting.
>If there is support from 5 other council members, I will ask that honey
>beekeeping be regulated by our nuisance ordinance rather than
>specifically banning hobby beekeepers from Aurora.  Some will say our
>nuisance ordinance is not tough enough to deal with potential problems,
>but I only recall one documented case on file in the history of code
>department.  In that case, an allergic neighbor complained, and the
>hobby beekeeper voluntarily got rid of his hives.  It's not too late to
>put the brakes on this "if it would only save one life" ordinance that
>defies common sense.

Aurora City Council

Ed Tauer  Mayor Pro Tem At Large
1681 S. Lansing St., 80012
303-369-8980 (Residence)
E-mail: [log in to unmask]

Nadine Caldwell Ward I
2065 Florence St., 80010
303-364-2859 (Residence)
E-mail: [log in to unmask]
Legal Secretary

Kathy Green  Ward II
17701 E. 14th Drive, 80011
303-367-1106
E-mail: [log in to unmask]
Manager of Small Business

Ingrid Lindemann  Ward III
12601 E. Cedar Ave., 80012
303-341-1735 (Residence)
E-mail: [log in to unmask]
Retired High School German Teacher

John Paroske   Ward IV
14837 E. Pacific Place, 80014
303-639-3088 (Office)
E-mail: [log in to unmask]
Certified Public Accountant and owner,

John S. Paroske, P.C.
Barbara Cleland    Ward V
3053 S. Andes St., 80013
303-690-3661 (Residence)
E-mail: [log in to unmask]
Community Relations Director,
Aurora Community Mental Health Center

Dave Williams  Ward VI
16036 E. Lehigh Circle, 80013
303-693-3522 (Residence)
E-mail: [log in to unmask]
Broker Associate - US Home

Steve Hogan At-Large
3053 S. Andes St., 80013
303-739-7015
E-mail: [log in to unmask]
Executive Director, Northwest Parkway Public Highway Authority

Edna Mosley At-Large
13827 E. Chenango Drive, 80015
303-627-2998 (Residence)
E-mail: [log in to unmask]
Retired University Administrator

Bob LeGare At-Large
775 Kenton St., 80010
303-366-0113 (Residence)
E-mail: [log in to unmask]
Commercial Property Manager, Next Millennium Property Co., LLC