Date:
Thu, 27 May 1999 22:34:18 GMT+0200
Hi Trevor/Allen/All

Trevor - you mentioned that wax treatment in conjunction with
napthanate did not inhibit the action of certain termites on your
hive bodies - this is really interesting.

I suspect, but am not sure that when people in the states speak of
treating to inhibit insect damage they may be refering to ant and
termite damage by fungus gardening insects - these cultivate fungi as
part of their lifesytle - feeding it bits of whatever they harvest.
Hence napthanates may kill these fungi. Simpler termites which do not
have these complex symbioses may not be affected.

However, most termites cultivate certain protozoa in their lower guts
that speed up breakdown of cellulose and I think lignins as well - is
there anything that could kill these fungi - thus making anything
that ate the wood unable to digest it??

Just an idea

Keep well

Garth
Garth Cambray           Camdini Apiaries
15 Park Road
Grahamstown             Apis mellifera capensis
6139 South Africa

Time = Honey