From:
Bill Truesdell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 10 Apr 1997 09:26:27 -0700
I am the secretary for the Maine State Beekeepers and edit our
newsletter. If your secretary wants to go on line, fine, but I think it
should be on their nickle. There is a lot on the internet, but a great
deal of it is opinion and therefor potentilally dangerous. Forums like
this one are great, because it is a medium for the exchange of ideas.
But I have only been on it for a month and have seen practices promoted
that are at variance with what is presented as fact in the "Hive and the
Honey Bee". And they are persuasive! I am ready to try one on a hive
this spring.
You would be better served, if you want to spend money for the secretary
to have information, to subscribe to Bee Culture and the ABJ.
The internet is fun, but for $180- $350 per year, you can do more for
your membership elsewhere. Plus, I only spend 10% max of my time on "bee
business" on the net. And of that, I have only two items that I would
pass on to our members and both are already in the literature, only with
a different viewpoint.
Final point. You obviously have members who are on line already. Why
not, at your next election of officers, vote one of them in as
secretary. Or create a position of "Internet Coordinator" or what ever
you want to call them and let them contribute articles or a column to
the secretary's letter or newsletter. Problem solved and you saved the
organization a bunch of bucks.