From:
Allen Dick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 Apr 2002 07:46:25 -0600
> The more consistent field test when fluvalinate resistance did show up was
any method of checking varroa population after treatment.  In our experience
within a week of putting in the strips you should have low levels of varroa
on the bees.

Thanks Blane.

After looking at the Pettis protocol and thinking about the real world
situation, it looked to me to be more work and more precision than we need
for the job at hand.

All we want to know is whether the treatment worked reasonably well -- or
not.  We will also want to know if the next treatment with the same method
will work too, but that should answer itself in time if we keep monitoring
the levels, and we will regularly now that we see what appears to be a
failure of treatment.  These bees are in another beekeeper's outfit, so at
this point and from my POV, bad technique, accidental omission, or bad
strips (left in the sun?) are as likely guesses as resistance.  Why assume
and test for the worst case right off the bat?  We can do that next week if
the follow-up test shows poor efficacy.

Given our resources, and timeframe ,and the number of yards under
consideration, simply treating the worst yards and monitoring should soon
tell us if we are getting the degree of control that Apistan (r) is famous
for providing.  If not, then and only then, the question of why arises.

Then the solution is to remedy the situation by applying another method.
That may mean using an alternate control agent or just being more careful.

IPM again.

allen
http://www.internode.net/honeybee/diary/