From:
Peter Hutton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 2 May 1998 00:07:12 GMT
 CHRS: IBMPC 2
 CODEPAGE: 437
 MSGID: 240:244/116 34e0fc18
 REPLY: 240:44/0 ab9a2927
 PID: FDAPX/w 1.12a UnReg(287)
Hello Randy,
I have four guinea fowl, they are often in the vicinty of my hives, I have
never observed them attempt to eat bees, nor any of my chicken or other fowl.
The only bird I have ever observed deliberately eating honeybees was a
flycatcher. It sat in the hedge alongside a field of oil seed rape (brassica
napus(canola) every whipswhile it popped out and caught a bee, popped back and
eat it, after seeing about twenty bees taken there was an upset, it missed a
bee, the bee attacked the bird, the bird first popped back to the hedge but the
bee pursued it follwed by another, the bird perplexed flew up, down, around and
back. By now there were more than a dozen bees around the flying bird and
attacking it with gusto, the bird now fled ducking and diving, the further it
flew the more bees joined the chase, when the bird was so far distant to be
invisible there was a black cloud of bees still to be seen. I have never seen
such a sight since.
I think your wax is so fresh that it has not hardened, nor has it become
adulterated with propolis nor are there any cocoons to stiffen u the comb.
[log in to unmask] from the Garden of England where the weather is
totally out of synch, there is stacks of nectar and too few bees.

---
 * Origin: Kent Beekeeper Beenet Point (240:244/116)