From:
randy oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 17 Mar 2018 11:54:41 -0700

> >Charles - Can you explain what you mean by splits being counted as a loss?

Bill, you hit the nail on the head!

I was in discussion with BIP in the early days, saying that their
calculation methodology would indicate erroneous rates of loss if I entered
my own data into their system.

I've more recently been in extensive discussion with NASS in trying to
figure out how to improve their loss calculations.

As many have pointed out, self-reported data from a non random group, with
a fixed mathematical interpretation regardless of location or management,
can produce questionable output.  I'm not dissing BIP in any way, and
appreciate all that they do, but just saying that I'd have more faith in
data for loss rate from groups of 100 marked and tracked hives in apiaries
across the country over the course of each year.

We have exceptionally low loss rates in our operation--virtually none due
to mites, disease, or starvation.  Our main losses are due to queen failure
(a minimal amount) or our own culling of poorly-performing colonies.  We
have an excess of bees each spring, so sell off up to half of our frames of
bees and brood.  We keep for ourselves enough splits to be roughly twice as
many as we plan to take to almonds 10 months later.  I did this before
varroa arrived, so the math hasn't changed for me.  So how do you calculate
a "colony loss rate" for our operation?

--
Randy Oliver
Grass Valley, CA