From:
Murray McGregor <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Mar 1998 21:36:56 +0000
In article <[log in to unmask]>, BKPR333 <[log in to unmask]> writes
>  I have a question for the list  that doesn't seem to have any reference in
>the bee-l  archives . We, my wife and I,  have been asked to place two or
>three hives at a organic garden location, the organic garden people are very
>strict on the non-use of any chemicals.  We believe the bees probably won't
>survive without apistan.  Is there any threat that the apistan and the organic
>garden principle conflict with each other? In other words, would the apistan
>cause a problem by rubbing off on the plants and leaving a chemical residue or
>is that amount too insignificant to even measure or jeopardize the organic
>concept?
>
>                                                     thank you in advance
>                                                       8 hives and growing?
>                                                        north central ohio

I cannot see how, unless this garden is miles from anyone with bees,
such as on an isolated island, that anyone can control the comings and
goings of bees from several miles around.

If you are in a varroa infested area there will be many, if not most, of
the bees active in the area originating from Apistan treated hives. Your
3 will make little or no difference to this.

So if you feel that by having bees from treated hives working the garden
will render it non-organic (which in my opinion is a highly extreme
point of view which would have serious consequences for organic
producers of bee pollinated crops everywhere) then you should not worry
too much. By those kind of standards it is ALREADY non-organic because
of the active foraging bees in the locality.

I'm sure that they would take the point of view that the pollination is
of value to their crops, whose organic status is not even remotely
likely to be upset by this. It's just your honey that would be non-
organic.

Murray
--
Murray McGregor